Some insights about Wizkid As He Celebrates 30th Birthday
Today award winning veteran Nigerian singer, songwriter and record producer Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun popularly known as Wizkid, celebrates his 30th birthday and below are some dope insights you should know about him.
As part of the activities to mark this music star’s 30th birthday, we will be sharing with you guys 30 things you should know about him.
SEE ALSO: Moozlie celebrates 6 years anniversary with Sbuda
For the die-hard members of Wizkid FC, every information here is already on their dairy but those who don’t know much about the celebrity, get a note pad as we share with you personal details of the music star.
1. Wizkid was born Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun on July 16, 1990, in Surulere, Lagos.
2. Wizkid grew up living with 12 sisters, a father, Alhaji M.O Balogun, who is Muslim and a Christian mum, Mrs. Balogun.
3. Wizkid wasn’t always known as Wizkid as he used to be called Lil Prinz when he just started singing but changed the name in 2006.
4. The Starboy boss went to Ijebu Ode Grammar School and then Lagos State University where he later dropped out. He tried going back to school after gaining admission into Lead City University but didn’t finish.
5. His sojourn in the music industry started at the age of 11-years-old when he was part of a group, Glorious Five. By the time he was 15, Wizkid had already met OJB Jezreel who he followed closely and watched other big stars like 2Face, Sound Sultan and Neato C.
6. Wizkid’s very first single is titled ‘Mami water.’ We don’t think you knew that!
7. Wizkid later signed to Banky W’s EME record label in 2009 which was the beginning of the rise of the star we all now know.
8. The release of that song reawakened everyone to a new vibe and sound. The gave him his first Headies awards as the ‘Next Rated,’ and numerous other awards followed suit.
9. The album ‘Superstar’, which was released in 2011 under Empire Mates Entertainment, took Wizkid to the length and breadth of the world as everyone couldn’t get enough of the latest superstar in the room who wasn’t even 20 yet!
10. Another album had to drop as fans couldn’t get enough of Wizkid, so by 2014, he dropped the second album ‘Ayo,’ which had a host of music stars on its feature list. One song that stood out was ‘Jaiye Jaiye’ featuring the music icon, Femi Kuti.
11. In 2016, Wizkid became the first Nigerian singer to make it to Billboard’s Twitter Last 24 hours chart following his guest feature with Drake on the hit single, ‘One Dance.’
12. When it comes to endorsement deals, Wizkid has made a lot of money from a number of them. From Pepsi to MTN and even Glo, the music star has cashed out hugely from these telcos and multinationals.
13. Wizkid has worked with not just big music stars in the country but outside the country including Drake and Chris Brown.
14. Wizkid has three albums to his credit; Superstar (2011), Ayo (2014) and Sounds from the Other Side (2017).
15. He also has a compilation album with EME; Empire Mates State of Mind which was released in 2012.
16. When it comes to his personal life, Wizkid also has a very interesting story. Just in case you don’t know, he is a father to three sons but husband to none of their mothers.
17. Wizkid welcomed his first son, Boluwatife in 2011 at the age of 21 with his then-girlfriend turned baby mama, Shola Ogudugu.
18. In 2016, Wizkid welcomed his second son, Ayodeji with his second baby mama, Binta Diallo which sparked off a lot of conversation if they were a serious couple.
19. Well just when we all thought Wizzy Baby was done with kids, the news broke of the arrival of his third son, Zion with his manager, Jade Pollock.
20. Just so you know, there is a day set aside in Minnesota for Wizkid because the last time he performed there, he had a sold-out concert at the Skyway Theater.